Hydroxychloroquine: F.D.A. Revokes Emergency Approval For Drug Promoted By President Trump
Back in March, President Trump was enthusiastic about two drugs — chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine — suggesting that they might be possible cures for the coronavirus. Both drugs are commonly used to combat malaria.
Last month, he revealed to reporters that he was taking the hydroxychloroquine in an effort to prevent getting coronavirus. On May 18, Fox News reported that the President said that he’s been taking a pill every day for about a week and a half.
Although in an interview published just days later, on May 24, the President said that was no longer taking the drug. “Finished, just finished,” he said. “And by the way, I’m still here. To the best of my knowledge, here I am.”
Soon after that, Fox News reported that a study found that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine were linked to increased risk of death in hospitalized coronavirus patients.
Today, the Food and Drug Administration said that it was revoking emergency authorization of the two malaria drugs to treat COVID-19, saying that they are “unlikely to be effective.”
The agency said that after reviewing some data, it determined that the drugs, particularly hydroxychloroquine, did not demonstrate potential benefits that outweighed their risks. “In light of ongoing serious cardiac adverse events and other potential serious side effects, the known and potential benefits of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine no longer outweigh the known and potential risks for the authorized use,” the F.D.A. press release said.