5 Things You Need To Know About: Lil Wayne
Lil Wayne has been a part of the rap community for years. His impressive lyrics have make us laugh (looking at your “Truffle Butter”) and also brought light to important issues. In honor of Black Music Month, here are five facts that you may not have known about Mr. Carter.
1. Previous to his moniker Lil Wayne, his rap name was different.
The Boom Box states that the rapper was “inspired by New Orleans bounce rapper Pimp Daddy” and originally selected Shrimp Daddy. In the mid 90’s the artist had a hit single called ‘Gota Ta Be Real’ which Wayne was a big fan of.
2. The rapper is very close to his mom, Cita.
The Richest reports that Lil Wayne’s “father left him at the age of two,” and his mother raised him.
3. Born Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr he dropped the “D” in his name in order to come up with his rap name.
However, due to his past with his father, he does not want to be associated with the man. Regardless of his past, he still continued the family name, The Richest reports that he still name the name to one of his sons.
4. The star released his first album when he was 11 years old.
The Boom Box states that this album was called ‘True Story’ and “was by the B.G.’z, a group consisting of Lil Wayne, then known as Baby D, and B.G., who went by Lil’ Doogie.”
5. Allegedly, the rapper was going to replace Young Jeezy in Boyz N Da Hood.
In 2005, it was also rumored that T.I was going to join. However, the two additions never happened and both decided against the group.
Sarah Harley is a Hufflepuff living in NYC. When she is not traveling or talking to random animals, she is working as a script writer. Tweet her at @lumpyspacederp