The murder suspect in Takeoff’s fatal shooting is claiming his innocence. According to Fox19, 33-year-old Patrick Xavier Clark appeared in court on Monday (December 5), where his lawyer claims her client was not the one who pulled the trigger that resulted in the death of the Migos rapper.
Letitia Quinones, one of Clark’s attorneys, told reporters that after the brief hearing her client is feeling “nervous and he’s concerned” because “he’s being charged with something that he believes he’s innocent of, so how would anyone do in that type of circumstance?” the outlet reports. Clark was arrested on a murder charge last week and currently has a $2 million bond. Prosecutors and his defense attorneys agreed to hold a bond reduction hearing on Dec. 14.
Quinones was asked if Clark and the Migos rapper had a prior relationship and she responded, “We really don’t want to go into the facts at this point.”
“There is a lot of investigation that needs to be done,” she added. “So, we just ask that everyone keep an open mind and let the system do its part and let the Constitution do its part and that is, right now he’s innocent until he’s proven guilty.”
Clark was determined to be a flight risk after he received an expedited passport and that he had a “large amount” of cash. He was arrested shortly after beginning to prepare for his flight. Quinones said that Clark had been planning to go to Mexico on a vacation but had canceled his trip before his arrest.
“He wasn’t trying to go anywhere,” Quinones said.
Takeoff was shot and killed in Houston in the early hours of Nov. 1. Quavo, Takeoff’s uncle and groupmate was on the scene, but was unhurt. Takeoff was shot in the head and torso according to the coroner’s report and was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other victims — a 23-year-old male and 24-year-old female — checked themselves into a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, per Billboard. It was later reported that the 23-year-old male victim was Quavo’s Assistant, Joshua ‘Wash’ Washington, per TMZ.