Happy Monday! It’s time for another Make It Monday! Today I’ve got a recipe that may be a little more involved than the past few… but I think there are some tweaks to make it even easier! I’ll share those with you as we go along.
I originally got this recipe from RecipesThatCrock.com. The first time I made it (which was a while back…) I just did everything in the crockpot, and used microwave bacon. Which was WAY easier.
Crockpot Bacon Mushroom Swiss Chicken
- Chicken Breasts (the recipe on the website called for 6 breasts, but the ones I picked up were HUGE, so I used 4)
- 1 can (10.5 oz) Cream of chicken soup
- Swiss cheese
- Mushrooms (I used a small can of mushroom stems and pieces)
- 3 strips of crispy bacon, crumbled
(Again, the first time I did this… I just put the chicken and soup in the crockpot to cook for the full time)
- Fry your bacon and save your drippings (while I was frying my bacon, I quickly remembered why I chose the easier route last time with the pre-cooked microwave bacon… Frying bacon is MESSY for me!)
- Use your bacon grease, warm it up over medium heat, place chicken in the grease for 3-5 minutes to cook
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray to prevent sticking
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot
- Cover with mushrooms
- Add cream of chicken soup (the original recipe says to warm your soup in a skillet… I didn’t do this)
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours (my chicken breasts were so large, I cooked for 5 hours on low)
- Once it’s finished, place slices of swiss cheese on each chicken breast, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top
- Cover and cook on high in the crockpot for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
As I was taking the chicken out this morning, I decided next time I will probably sprinkle the crumbled bacon on once I take it out of the crockpot. Simply for the fact that a lot of my bacon wound up in the liquid/soup part… I want more bacon on my chicken… because it’s BACON, and who doesn’t love bacon?!
I served mine with some beans… but you can choose any side to go with this! Again– next time I may just go back to the simpler way– where you don’t have to fry bacon and cook the chicken in the bacon grease (although this probably enhances the flavor A LOT).
Missed last week’s Make It Monday recipe? Check it out here: Crockpot Chicken Parmesan